More from Bizarro world...
You know the old saw about opinions (and a**holes). I’m reading the story below and I’m thinking... great. A company tries treating people well and wind up getting boycotted for their trouble.
This is the whole bugaboo I’ve got with the ‘religion thing.’ Isn’t this the same thinking used to justify flying planes into the sides of buildings?
Whatever happened to live and let live?
A conservative Christian group launched a boycott against Ford Motor Co. Tuesday, saying the second-largest U.S. automaker has given thousands of dollars to gay rights groups, offers benefits to same-sex couples and actively recruits gay employees.
“From redefining family to include homosexual marriage, to giving hundreds of thousands of dollars to support homosexual groups and their agenda, to forcing managers to attend diversity training on how to promote the acceptance of homosexuality... Ford leads the way,” American Family Association chairman Donald Wildmon said in a statement.
Ford responded that it respects its customers and employees.
Every time I wind up in a discussion about THE LORD (there should be an accompanying thunderclap there, folks) with a person genuinely concerned about my salvation and saving my immortal soul, I find myself in a bit of a disconnect...
I’ve never had the audacity to possibly think I could speak for a supreme being (if there is one). Further, I find it hard believing even the most well-meaning and devout among us can say with 100% certainty they’re correct in the tenets of their belief system. There’s no theorem I know of which can be presented concretely proving a position in these things - one of the reasons it’s called faith no doubt.
faith
1. Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.
2. Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence. See Synonyms at belief. See Synonyms at trust.
3. Loyalty to a person or thing; allegiance: keeping faith with one's supporters.
4. often Faith Christianity. The theological virtue defined as secure belief in God and a trusting acceptance of God's will.
5. The body of dogma of a religion: the Muslim faith.
6. A set of principles or beliefs.
So, when I hear someone say (for example), “God is my biggest fan” or something like ”God wants us to (fill in the blank),” I have a tendency to switch out the word ‘God’ for the pronoun ‘I’ in these instances because I find it the height of self-aggrandizing behavior.
It’s because I’ve been around people a lot of my life who seem to equate going to worship as justification for some really bad behavior or as a way of managing to take an attitude of superiority towards others. When you look a bulk of history, you come to realize a lot of really nasty stuff has been done in God’s name, the kind of thing makes me a even more wary.
As for these people with the ‘Direct Connect,’ if it works for them, if it brings them comfort... hey I’m all for it. Just show me the same respect for my beliefs and we’ll get along fine. What’s that phrase, oh yeah... we’re all God‘s children.
Actually made me have some respect for Ford of all things.
No comments:
Post a Comment